The Firefly Hours (A Silas Sharp Metaphysical Mystery): Chapter 26
| Fairy firefly pool by night by EmmaKay's Creations |
Chapter
26 – Calico Intervenes
Every
life contains at least one room we'd happily inhabit forever if time allowed
it. The kitchen where Mom used to make you hot chocolate when you were upset.
The front porch where Grandpa used to tell you tall tales. The hospital room
before the doctor walks in. Memory lets us visit. Grief tries to convince us to
unpack and stay awhile.
By
Saturday morning, I had nearly signed a lease.
Calico
found me sitting alone beneath the old maple tree. The endless sunset painted
everything in glowing amber. The fireflies glowed steadily overhead, watching
like wise, silent elders. She carried two cups of coffee.
"I
wasn't sure whether you'd still drink it.” She offered me a cup and I took it.
"I've
considered stronger options. Whiskey. Tequila. Interdimensional tea.”
"I
thought you might,” she said and she sat with me.
For
several minutes, we simply sat. We didn’t exchange theories or consult her
notebooks. No impossible phenomena were put forth as likely explanations for
The Firely Hours. Just two tired people pretending the world hadn't forgotten
how evenings worked. Finally she spoke.
"You
saw your father. How’d that go?”
"He
remembered I hate mayonnaise on my ham sandwiches.”
She
laughed softly.
"My
mom remembered coconut sunscreen," she said.
A
comfortable silence settled between us.
"I
almost stayed."
"I
know."
"You
do?"
She
looked into her coffee.
"I
almost did too."
That
surprised me. I looked at her as she sipped her coffee. Her warm green eyes
gazed at the sun stuck in perpetual sunset.
"No
hesitation?"
She
looked to me. The answer was written plainly across her face.
"So
much hesitation.” Her voice remained calm, almost peaceful. "My mother
held my hand. The way she always did when I was frightened. I forgot she'd rub
her thumb across the back of my hand."
She
demonstrated unconsciously with her own hands. I looked at my own hands.
"I
hadn't remembered that in thirty years." She closed her eyes. "I
almost followed her."
"What
stopped you?"
"You."
I
blinked at her. I was aware of a dumb expression on my face. It was the same
kind I would get whenever teachers tried to explain algebra to me.
"I
wasn't even there,” I said.
"No."
She smiled sadly. "But I remembered something you'd said."
"I
said something useful?" I chuckled in spite of myself and decided to take
a first sip of coffee.
"Well,
you know the saying,” she said with a soft smile. “Something blind squirrel
finding a nut and all that.”
We
looked toward the motionless horizon.
"You
once told me..." She searched for the exact words. "...that mysteries
aren't solved by finding what wants you. Which is typically Silas
pseudo-cryptic thing.”
"They're
solved by finding what's missing,” I added. I vaguely remembered saying it, as
I do all my typically Silas pseudo-cryptic things. It sounded like something
I'd say while trying to sound wiser than I actually was.
"My
mother wasn't missing," Calico spoke quietly. "I was."
I
frowned. "I don't understand."
"I
was the one who had stopped living." She looked directly at me. "Not
permanently. Just for those few minutes."
The
breeze didn't move. The neighborhood remained suspended in impossible evening.
Children
laughed somewhere in another summer. Harold rode his bicycle. Murphy chased
another tennis ball. Every beautiful thing remained beautifully unfinished.
"I've
been thinking about Walter,” I said. “He believes he's protecting love."
"He
is." She nodded. "But he stopped protecting tomorrow.”
I
looked toward the woods. "My father offered me years."
"I
know."
"I
wanted them."
"I
know that, too.”
"No."
I shook my head. "You don't."
She
leaned forward, taking my hand in hers. She ran her thumb gently across my
palm.
"I
do,” she said. Her words came quietly, like a gentle knock on a door. "My
mother would've watched me graduate. She would've embarrassed me at my wedding.
She would've insisted on giving me advice I never asked for. I wanted all of
those years.”
A
tear escaped before she noticed it. She wiped it away impatiently.
"I
still do,” she added.
"So
why leave?" I asked.
Her
answer came immediately. "Because they aren't there." She pointed
toward the glowing neighborhood. "Those years don't exist."
"They
could."
"No."
"They
almost could." She gently shook her head. "That's the cruel
part."
I
stared into my coffee. The steam drifted upward. Unlike everything else, it
moved. I watched it disappear into the amber light.
"My
father felt real."
"I'm
sure he did."
"He
loved me."
"Of
course."
"He
knew things no memory should know."
"I
believe you." She wasn't arguing with my experience. She was arguing with
my conclusion. She set her coffee aside. "May I tell you something
difficult?"
"When
have you ever asked permission?"
She
smiled. "Fair point. Your father belongs to your life. He doesn't belong
to your future."
The
words landed harder than any accusation. Because they weren't cruel. They were
true. She continued quietly.
"You've
spent your career helping people let go of almosts."
"I
investigate them."
"You
release them,” she countered. I hadn't thought about it that way. "But
you've never released your own."
We
sat in the kind of long, comfortable silence earned by friendship. One that
didn't require unnecessary words. Finally, she stood.
"So."
"So."
"What
are you going to do?" she asked.
"I
don't know."
"I
believe you."
She
started walking away. Then stopped. Without turning around, she spoke one last
time with the quiet certainty of someone offering a hand instead of an
argument.
"Silas..."
I
looked up. She faced the endless sunset. The impossible neighborhood. The lake
hidden somewhere beyond the trees. And the father waiting there. Then she said
the sentence I would spend the rest of my life trying to deserve.
"You
visit there." A pause. She turned toward me. “But you don't live there.
You don’t belong there.”
She
walked away before I could answer. Leaving me alone with the one mystery no
detective can solve for anyone else. Whether memory is a place to return to or
a place to leave with gratitude.
Comments
Post a Comment