The Firefly Hours (A Silas Sharp Metaphysical Mystery): Chapter 23
Day
23 – The Collector's Purpose
There
comes a point in every investigation when facts stop helping. You know the who,
the what, the where, and the when. The only question left is the one people
usually avoid asking. Why? The answer to that changes how you feel about the
whole case. By Wednesday morning, I knew Walter Ashcroft wasn't trying to
destroy Laurel Lane. The harder truth was that he was trying to save it. The
only disagreement was from whom.
I
found Walter repairing an old grave in the old cemetery behind the Methodist
church. He used a soft brush and a bucket of water and worked with the kind of
quiet concentration usually reserved for restoring paintings.
"You
maintain these?" I asked him.
"They
deserve restoration and remembrance." He rinsed the stone. "Moss and
time make people forget."
The
marker belonged to Margaret Ashcroft, 1939–1988. Beloved Wife. Beloved Mother.
Gone Too Soon. I stared at that line: Mother. I knelt beside Walter and helped
him clean away some of dirt on the tombstone.
"You
had children."
He
nodded once. "A daughter." He didn't volunteer her name. I didn't
ask. Not yet.
We
worked in silence for several minutes. Sometimes people only tell the truth
after they've been allowed to hear themselves think.
"Emily
was six." Walter kept brushing dirt from the carved letters.
"Margaret took her to piano lessons every Thursday." His hand paused.
"The drunk driver crossed the center line." He resumed scrubbing.
"They never made it home."
There
are moments when condolences feel dishonest. What exactly are we apologizing
for when we say we’re sorry? The universe? Chance? Physics? So, I said nothing.
Walter seemed grateful.
"I
spent years trying to remember her voice." He sat back on his heels, a
faint smile on his face. "I could remember every word she ever said. But
not the sound."
"The
sound?"
"The
pitch. The tone." He looked embarrassed. "The way she laughed."
His eyes remained on the gravestone. "I knew she laughed. I just couldn't
hear it anymore."
He
looked back at Laurel Lane, the brush dripping soapy water in his hand.
"The
first time the Firefly Hours came, I heard her. It wasn’t a dream or
hallucination. It was her laugh. Somewhere beyond the trees. I followed it and
found... A Thursday. Emily running across a front yard with two missing front
teeth and a purple backpack bouncing against her shoulders. Margaret standing
on the porch. Calling us both in for lemonade. An afternoon. Nothing
extraordinary. Nothing anyone else would
have remembered. Except me. I watched Emily run to me and take my hand like it
was an old home movie.”
“That
must have been remarkable,” I said.
"I
watched the whole scene for three minutes." His voice barely rose above
the breeze. "The next evening, they were there again."
"You
never told anyone."
"They
would've pitied me. Worse. They would've taken it away." Walter stood.
Slowly. The stiffness in his knees reminded me he had spent decades carrying
something heavier than grief. "They thought I was preserving
memories."
"Weren't
you?"
He
looked toward Laurel Lane. "No." He picked up the bucket. "I was
preserving that moment. That Thursday." –
We
walked together toward the subdivision. Children rode bicycles through
overlapping summers. Murphy chased another impossible tennis ball. The yellow
house shimmered. Harold trimmed hedges that no longer existed. Walter watched
every one of them with quiet affection. I think he could tell I was eyeing him
with the pity he didn’t want.
"I
know this isn't real," he said.
"You
do?"
He
nodded. "I know my wife died. And Emily. I buried them." He looked at
me. "I've never denied reality."
"Then
why?"
Walter
laughed softly. The sound carried more exhaustion than joy.
"Because
reality keeps asking me to choose."
"Choose
what? I don’t understand.”
g"Whether
thirty-seven years together..." He swallowed. "...should end."
He gestured toward the neighborhood. "I've buried her once. I won't bury
her twice."
We
stopped in front of the yellow house. Margaret stepped onto the porch. Not
Walter's Margaret. Someone else's memory. But she smiled with the same warmth.
The same effortless grace. Walter watched her disappear again into another
year.
"You
think I'm selfish, don’t you?"
"I
think you're afraid. Not that I blame you."
"Of
course, I am." For the first time, there was no mystery in his voice. Only
honesty. "I'm terrified. The world tells us grief is healthy because
eventually it gets better, whatever that means." He looked toward the
frozen horizon. "But what if it doesn’t. What if we simply get farther
away from the moments that mattered?"
I
remembered Calico's mother. The coconut sunscreen. The forgotten smell. Harold
riding his bicycle. Danny playing basketball. Every impossible thing Laurel
Lane had given back. Walter wasn't protecting ghosts. He was protecting
details. The tiny, ordinary pieces of love that time routinely erases first.
"I
know what you're thinking." Walter looked directly at me. "You think
this place is keeping us from living."
"It
is," I said.
"I
know,” he said. "And yet..."
“Yet
what?”
He
turned toward the glowing neighborhood. Toward the endless twilight. Toward a
little girl laughing somewhere inside another Thursday afternoon. When he spoke
again his voice had become almost impossibly gentle.
"This
is the only place she's still real."
Comments
Post a Comment