The Firefly Hours (A Silas Sharp Metaphysical Mystery): Chapter 25
| Stars and Fireflies Late June by Eric Aho |
Chapter 25 – The Offer
Nobody
walks willingly into a cage. They walk toward whatever the cage has placed
inside. By Friday morning, I understood what the Firefly Hours wanted from me.
The problem was I wanted something from them too.
My
father sat at the end of the dock with his shoes beside him and his trouser
legs rolled to his knees. He'd always hated wet socks. Some memories survive
because they're important. Others survive because love is built from useless
details. He patted the boards beside him. I sat. For a while, neither of us
spoke. The lake did most of the talking. Water slapped against wood. Insects chirped
in the reeds. A distant outboard motor purred on a part of the lake I couldn't
see. Every sound exactly as it had been. Or, rather, exactly as I needed it to
be. That distinction had become increasingly difficult to defend.
"You
look tired, son." he said. I halfway expected him to offer me a Life
Savers.
"I've
had a long week,” I muttered. "Hell, a long life."
He
nodded toward the tackle box. "Sandwich?"
Inside
were two ham sandwiches wrapped in wax paper. Mustard. No mayonnaise. He
remembered. Of course he remembered. I took one.
"Are
you really him?" I asked.
My
father considered the question before answering. "Would the answer change
how the sandwich tastes?"
"Probably
not."
"Then
eat before the bread gets soggy."
I
did. It tasted like twelve years old. Across the lake, the sun remained
suspended just above the tree line. I knew it would never move unless someone
made it. My father knew it too. Neither of us mentioned it.
"You
can stay," he said, watching the water.
"So
I’ve heard. Is that a good idea, though?”
"You
don't have to decide today."
"Today
seems unusually committed to continuing."
That
made him laugh. The real laugh. Not the version I'd reconstructed over the
years. The sharp inhale first. Then the sound. I had forgotten the inhale. The
Firefly Hours hadn't.
"You
could come back," he said. "Whenever you want."
“Forever?"
"If
that's what you need."
The
offer hung between us: a lifetime of visits. Birthdays. Fishing trips. Ordinary
Thursdays. All the small things death had stolen so cruelly.
"What
would it cost?" I asked.
He
looked at me and said, "Does everything have to cost something?"
"In
my experience, anything offering forever usually has very aggressive
financing."
"You'd
have to let this place remain.” He looked at me. "The neighborhood. The
Hours."
"And
everyone trapped inside them." I studied my half-eaten ham sandwich.
His
expression saddened. "They don't feel trapped."
"I
bet they did once."
"Most
lives feel like cages from the wrong angle,” he offered with a shrug. “You
should know that by now.”
I
stood and walked to the end of the dock. The water reflected an endless, motionless
sunset. Dead, if you considered movement part of being alive. Behind me, my
father opened the tackle box and began organizing lures. He had always done
that when waiting for me to say something difficult.
"Walter
made this happen," I said.
"He
helped it happen,” he said, pointing out a difference.
"What
about Danny?” I asked. "He was fourteen."
"So
were you, almost."
"I
was twelve."
My
father glanced up. "Exactly."
His
response struck harder than they should have. Because some part of me was still
twelve. Still standing beside the water, believing there had been one correct
action that would have changed everything. Still investigating every impossible
case as though the universe might eventually admit it had made a clerical
error. My father set down the lure and locked his eyes on me.
"You
couldn't save me, Silas."
"I
know."
"No."
He shook his head. "You understand the sentence. That's not the same as
believing it."
The
lake shifted around us. Reality folded in on itself. The dock became a hospital
corridor of harsh white walls and oppressive fluorescent lights. My mother's
hand gripped mine. A doctor walked toward us with practiced sorrow. Then the
lake returned. My father remained.
"This
place can give it all back," he told me. “The years we lost. The years you
lost.”
I
stared at him. The shoreline changed. A cabin appeared among the trees. Smoke
curled from its chimney. My father stood on the porch older than I'd ever known
him. Gray hair. Reading glasses. A cardigan I would have mocked openly. He
waved. The scene shifted again. Christmas morning. Two mugs beside a fire.
Another shift. A diner booth. My father arguing politics with two of his buddies.
A life assembled from all the doors that had closed. I could reclaim it. Not
undo his death. Something more seductive. Live around it. Build new memories
beside the old ones until the grief became only one room in a much larger
house. Calico's faint, distant voice reached me from somewhere beyond the
trees.
"Silas!"
I
turned toward it. The path behind me had vanished. Now there were only woods
and fireflies. So many fireflies. My father stepped closer.
"You
don't have to keep losing people," he said.
"Everyone
loses people."
"Not
here."
"That's
the problem,” I said. I thought of Walter. Margaret. Emily. His preserved
Thursday. I thought of Calico laughing like a child beneath her mother's hand.
Harold riding home to Eleanor. Murphy chasing a tennis ball. Danny playing
basketball in a neighborhood where fourteen never ended. Every one of them had
been given something impossible. Every gift had roots wrapped around an
absence.
"What
happens to the present?" I asked.
My
father looked toward the frozen sun. "It waits."
"For
how long?"
"As
long as it has to."
"That's
not living, Dad."
His
face softened. "Neither is spending your whole life apologizing to the
dead."
I
had no answer. Because he was right. Guilt and grief are the most cumbersome of
emotional baggage. He held out his hand toward me.
"Stay
tonight." His smile was gentle. The fireflies brightened. "Come back
tomorrow. And the day after that."
Behind
him, the life I'd lost unfolded. My father aging, laughing, forgetting where he
left his glasses. Calling at inconvenient times to ask questions I'd answered
three conversations earlier. All the ordinary frustrations I would have given
anything to possess. The Firefly Hours didn't offer perfection. They offered
time. That was worse.
"Silas!"
Calico called again. Farther away now. Or maybe I was.
My
father kept his hand extended.
"No
more almosts," he said.
The
phrase found the oldest part of me. The part that had built an entire life
around unfinished things. I looked at his hand. Then at the sunset. Then back
toward the place where the path had been. I knew what accepting meant. The
neighborhood would remain suspended. The lost residents would remain neither
alive nor dead. Walter would keep his Thursday. And I would have my father. My
mouth opened. The word rose easily. Naturally. Already shaped by decades of
wanting. For one suspended moment I was going to say yes.
Comments
Post a Comment