The Firefly Hours (A Silas Sharp Metaphysical Mystery): Chapter 20
| Thumbalina Playing With Fireflies by Priya Rama |
Chapter
20 – The Fireflies Stop Blinking
Time
marches on, they say. Maybe it is a flat circle. Maybe it isn’t linear at all.
It just moves and shifts as it pleases. But time does move. Morning matters
because night eventually leaves. Summer matters because autumn eventually
arrives. Children become adults. Songs reach the last note. Conversations find
the courage to end while others find the place to begin. Endings are important
thought. Without endings nothing ever becomes a memory.
By
Sunday evening, Laurel Lane had forgotten that.
I
found Walter Ashcroft already sitting on his porch without his tea or glowing
jars. Just an old wooden chair facing the neighborhood.
"What
are you doing, Walter?” I asked.
"Waiting.”
"For
what?"
“Well.”
He watched the first fireflies emerge. “Of that I'm no longer certain."
That
worried me more than if he'd offered an explanation.
Arthur
arrived a few minutes later. Then Calico with her camera. The children gathered
quietly near the park. There was no laughter that night. Nobody played tag. Even
Tommy kept checking his watch. The whole neighborhood felt like a theater
audience waiting for an actor who had missed his cue.
The
first firefly blinked. Then another. That familiar rhythm spread across the
yards. Soft, patient, predictable movements. The Hour began exactly as it
always had.
The
memories came. An elderly couple danced in one living room. Murphy chased a
tennis ball through Mrs. Collins' backyard. Harold rode his bicycle past the
yellow house, young again. The overlapping summers unfolded with quiet
confidence. There was an odd comfort watching this Norman Rockwell painting
come to life in an uncanny valley.
Calico
stood beside me, close enough that our arms touched.
"I
don't like this,” she said. “After yesterday something should have
changed."
It
did. The blinking slowed. One beat. Then another. Longer pauses spaced out
between pulses of glowing yellow. The children noticed first. Tommy looked up
from his watch.
"Lily,”
he said.
"I
know,” she said.
"They're
slowing,” Arthur said, rising from his chair.
The
pattern was irregular. Blink. Short silence. Blink. Longer silence. Then, every
firefly lit at once; hundreds of tiny green lights suspended across Willow
Lane. No one spoke. The silence felt enormous. Like the world had taken a
breath, waiting on what might happen next. The crickets stopped chirping. The
wind disappeared, leaves hung motionless. Smoke from a backyard grill rose six
feet into the air and remained there. Simply stopped.
"Calico,”
I said.
"I
see it,” she said, slowly removed her glasses. "The air isn't
moving."
Arthur
whispered something I couldn't hear. Walter stood. For the first time since I'd
met him, he looked frightened.
The
children began backing away. Almost instinctively retreating like birds sensing
a storm beyond human hearing. Tommy tugged at my sleeve.
"It
should be over.” His voice cracked. "It's never late."
I
looked at the sun resting against the western horizon. The sky was a brilliant,
vibrant orange. I checked my watch. 7:48. Ninety seconds later... 7:48. I
frowned. Tapped the crystal. Nothing.
“What
the hell?” I said aloud. “It’s stopped.”
Calico
looked at hers. “Mine, too.”
Arthur
pulled an old pocket watch from his vest. Same time. Walter reached into his
pocket. The second hand refused to move.
"It's
not the watches." Calico's voice had become frighteningly calm. "It's
time."
A
screen door slammed somewhere across the neighborhood. Except it never
finished. The sound stretched impossibly long, like an opera single holding the
final note of an aria. Halfway between open and closed. Somewhere a dog barked.
That single bark echoed and continuing echoing. As though the sound itself
couldn't decide whether it belonged to the past or the present.
It
was, frankly, annoying as hell.
The
memories changed. Until now they'd remained inside houses, yards, and their
proper places. Not anymore. The dancing couple stepped off their porch. Murphy
ran into another family's yard. The boy with the plastic lightsaber crossed the
street. Harold stopped pedaling, looking around confused. The memories were
somehow searching. For what, I couldn’t say but the possibilities chilled my
spine.
Walter
walked slowly toward the middle of the street.
"No."
His voice was almost pleading. "This isn't how it works."
Arthur
turned. "You've seen this?"
“Never.”
Walter shook his head.
"You've
been studying this for decades," I said. "What is this?"
Walter's
answer came almost as a whisper.
"I
think..." He swallowed. "...the Hours have forgotten to end."
The
frozen fireflies suddenly brightened like a burning ember reigniting. The
entire neighborhood glowed emerald. The shadows disappeared. Every house seemed
illuminated from inside by another summer. Every window held movement. Every
yard remembered something. Every tree whispered with voices from years gone by.
The Firefly Hours had stopped being moments. They had now become a place.
“Silas.”
Calico slowly turned in a complete circle.
I
followed her gaze. The sky hadn't darkened, hadn't brightened. The sun remained
exactly where it had been. Balanced on the horizon. Perfectly suspended between
day and night. Behind us, Tommy quietly began to cry just loud enough to reveal
the fear every child had apparently carried all along. Arthur closed his eyes. Walter
removed his hat. No one moved. I couldn’t tell whether moving mattered anymore.
Because the one thing Laurel Lane had always been able to count on had failed.
Time did not move. Night refused to arrive.
Comments
Post a Comment