The Firefly Hours (A Silas Sharp Metaphysical Mystery): Chapter 28
| Firefly Symphony by Ayeesha Idrees |
Day
28 – Letting Go
People
imagine letting go as some final, tearful goodbye speech or a hand opening in
slow motion while orchestral music swells or a hand opening in slow motion
while music swells somewhere overhead. Reality doesn’t work that way. Most of
the time letting go looks like taking one step you don't want to take. Then
another. And trusting the world to keep existing after you've turned your back.
Night
entered Laurel Lane like an unfamiliar guest as though it understood it hadn't
been invited. The fireflies blinked more slowly now. Each burst of light
revealed a different neighborhood. Each subsequent darkness erased it. For the
first time since the Firefly Hours began, the memories disappeared between
blinks.
Light.
Margaret stood beside Emily. Dark. Empty sidewalk. Light. Harold pedaled home. Dark.
Only pavement. Light. Murphy bounded after his tennis ball. Dark. Silence.
"They're
fading." Walter's voice barely carried above the evening insects.
"No,"
I said. "They're leaving."
Walter
stood in the middle of Laurel Lane. The Collector. The guardian of simple
moments from the past. The man who had spent almost four decades convincing
memory to revisit the present. His hands hung uselessly at his sides. There was
nothing left to preserve.
Emily
appeared again, her purple backpack slung on her shoulders. Her untied shoes. Six
years old forever. She smiled exactly as children smile when they're certain
the world still makes sense.
"Daddy!"
Walter's
entire body answered before he did. He took one step then stopped. Margaret
emerged behind her in her sunny yellow dress and warm smile. Wind lifting her
hair. She looked younger than Walter now. Her love for him was as palpable as
the evening humidity.
I
started toward him. Calico caught my sleeve.
"Don't."
"He
needs help,” I said.
"He
needs to choose,” she said.
Walter
knelt as Emily ran toward him. She wrapped her arms around his neck. He held
her as though the act itself might stop time. Maybe once it had but not
anymore.
"I
missed you." Her tiny voice carried through the quiet street.
"I
know. Me, too.”
"I
looked for you,” she said. “Why didn't you come?"
Walter
couldn't give her an answer. Margaret rested one hand against his shoulder.
"You
stayed," she said.
Walter
nodded. "I couldn't leave."
"You
never were very good at goodbyes."
He
laughed. The sound broke somewhere in the middle.
"I
was afraid.” Walter looked at his wife, his voice trembling. "If I let go,
you'd disappear."
Margaret
looked around the neighborhood with its impossible houses and overlapping
summers. It was a place where the children who had forgotten which year they
belonged to. It was an endless accumulation of beautiful things refusing to
become memory. She then looked back at husband.
"No."
She smiled with heartbreaking patience. "You disappeared."
The
words struck every one of us. Walter lowered his head.
"I
thought I was keeping you alive," he said.
"You
were keeping yourself away,” Margaret said.
Emily
tugged gently on his sleeve.
"Daddy?
Weren't you building the birdhouse?"
He
frowned. "The birdhouse?"
"You
said we'd finish it Saturday."
Memory
of a half-built birdhouse rippled through his face. Images of wood shavings and
paint-stained hands flashed in front of his face like a kinetoscope. A promise
interrupted by tragedy. A Saturday that never came. Around us, the fireflies
blinked again. The neighborhood flickered. More memories disappeared into
darkness than returned. The balance had shifted.
Calico
stepped beside me and whispered, "This is it.”
"I
know,” I said. “He has to let go.”
"If
he can't..."
"I
know."
Walter
stood slowly and took Margaret's hands. For a long time, they simply looked at
one another. Just two people who had once expected to grow old together.
"I
don't know how to let you go.” His voice was almost a whisper.
Margaret
squeezed his hands. "You do. Trust yourself. It’s okay, Walter."
He
closed his eyes. When he opened them again, he looked older. The Collector had
finally allowed it time to catch up to him.
"I
love you,” he told Margaret. Their foreheads resting against each other. “I
will always love you.”
"I
know."
"I'm
afraid."
Walter
kissed Margaret forehead the way he'd probably done a thousand ordinary
mornings. Then, very gently, he let go. He released Margaret’s hands and took a
tentative step away from her and their precious daughter. Margaret took Emily's
hand. Emily waved enthusiastically.
"Bye,
Daddy!"
Walter
raised his own hand. For a second, I thought he might call them back. Instead,
he revealed the smallest smile. The hardest one he'd ever earned.
"Bye,
Emily."
They
walked toward the deepening darkness the way everyone we love eventually does. Their
outlines softened. Margaret’s yellow dress disappeared first. Then Emily’s
purple backpack. Then the sound of her infectious laughter. Eventually only the
fireflies remained.
Walter
didn't move. The neighborhood seemed to hold its breath with him. The memories
began dissolving all at once. Harold tipped an invisible cap before fading. Murphy
barked once and chased his ball into darkness. The dancers finished their song.
The birthday party applauded. Porch lights became ordinary porch lights. Houses
chose one decade. Trees chose one age. The impossible neighborhood folded
quietly into the real one.
My
father appeared one last time at the end of the dock and simply nodded.
The
expression wasn't goodbye—more like approval. As though he'd been waiting all
along to see whether I'd understand. Then he, too, was gone.
Walter
sat heavily on the curb. The Collector had nothing left to collect. He stared
at his empty hands for a long time. Finally, he looked up at me. One thing I’ve
learned in my time as a metaphysical detective is when to say something and when
to let the silence do the talking. I sat
beside him on the curb. No words passed between us. Above us the fireflies
blinked once, twice, then scattered across the neighborhood like ordinary
summer insects. The last trace of gold vanished beyond the trees. The western
sky deepened into indigo and eventually the soft black that belongs only to
July.
One
by one, stars emerged where they had always been waiting. Arthur removed his
hat. Calico quietly closed her notebook. No one spoke. Because after
seventy-two hours of impossible evening none of us wanted to interrupt the
miracle. For the first time in days, Laurel Lane experienced true nightfall.
Comments
Post a Comment